What is the NFPA 285?
- Pass Fail Fire Performance System Test
- Measures the performance of wall systems and their components when wrapped in combustible materials
- Required by code(Chapter 14 and 26 IBC)
Hunter Xci offers two AIA Presentations
offering great detail on the NFPA 285 test:
- HP105 - Continuous Insulation: Code Compliance and the NFPA 285 in Commercial Wall Assemblies
- HP110 - Continuous Insulation and Beyond: Design solutions that offer energy efficiency, thermal value, fire performance and moisture control.
Why is the NFPA 285 important?
- Building occupant and fire safety issue
- CI Codes are increasingly being adopted into state codes
- Without proper documentation:
- Project stops until documentation is provided
- One or multiple materials maybe removed or changed
- Building envelope redesign